Friday, June 11, 2010

Pedestal Bowl & Cloche Revamp...

You may remember my "Fabulous Friday Finds" post last week when I featured "vintage." I loved all the items, but my favorite was the vintage wooden pedestal bowl, for $20 including shipping. I fell in love with that little yellow bowl and considered buying it on the spot, but I got distracted. By the time I headed back to the shop to purchase it, it was gone.

Did I let that get me down? A little. Not a chance. I have a car, some keys, a little time, and a one track mind when I set my sights on something. I figured there was probably more than one wooden pedestal in the sea, so I started scoping out the local flea markets and thrift stores. At my second stop, a flea market, I came upon this...

Holy mother of pearl, my heart skipped a beat when I saw her. She was a might on the pricey side -- $20 -- but I put her in the cart anyway and kept looking. I came upon four more wooden pedestal bowls, each one smaller and more expensive, so I decided to suck it up and pay the piper.

After buying the wooden bowl, I headed over to a local thrift store to see if a cloche was still available that I had seen on my last visit. It was. It's mine now -- purchased for $4. That right there is a good example of the difference between the cost of items at thrift stores and flea markets. Thrift store prices are sooo much better!

I headed home, grabbed some spray paint and went to work. Rustoleum Americana in "Summer Squash" and "Heirloom White" did the trick. (I would suggest you grab your shades for this next picture.)

Holy cow -- those are bright! So, I roughed them up a bit. Ahhh, so much better...

Then I lathered some chocolate pudding all over 'em. Chocolate pudding is a fabulous glaze. You can paint it on then lick the brush! Mmmm...

Just kidding. I didn't really use chocolate pudding, but it does look like chocolate pudding. It does not, however, taste like chocolate pudding. Not that I'd know.

I gently wiped off the glaze to the finish I desired. This glaze is fabulous because it gets into nooks and crannies, tones down the paint, and leaves a satiny finish...

Here they are in all their glory...

I think I got pretty close to the original item...

Have a nice day!


Linked to:
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Looking for a Creative High @ Those Northern Skies
Linky Love Friday @ sweet Charli
Feature Yourself Friday @ Fingerprints on the Fridge
Remodelaholic's Anonymous @ Remodelaholic