Wednesday, October 19, 2011

100% Cotton Crocheted Dishcloths


Here's my version of a 100% cotton crocheted dishcloth. It is the same single crochet pattern of my previous dishcloths...


As I said in my previous post, years ago I was given a couple of dishcloths like these as a hostess gift. I loved the organic, natural feel of them -- hence the use of 100% cotton! They were wonderfully absorbent and amazingly resilient. I kept them for several years, throwing them in the washer whenever needed. I'm making mine to use as a homemade gift for friends and family for the holidays.  This (100% cotton) version is perfect for wiping down counters and light dish washing. Just throw it in the washing machine when it needs to be laundered...


Here's what you'll need:
  • Cotton yarn (4-ply). {Hobby Lobby and Walmart carry cotton brands of yarn that work well. I used the "I Love This Cotton" Yarn at Hobby Lobby for this dishcloth.}
  • Size F crochet hook {You may have to adjust this depending upon the thickness of your yarn.}
  • Scissors
1.) To make an 8.5" dishcloth, chain 34 stitches. 

2.) Then, insert the hook back into the second chain from the end and single crochet into each chain to complete the first row.

3.) When you get to the last chain, single crochet, chain one, turn and continue working a single crochet to the end of the next row. Like you did before, single crochet into the last stitch of that row, chain one and continue working in single crochet stitch until you end up with a square piece. You can tie off your ends at this point or complete the optional edging below like I did...


4.) Optional Edging (See first photo for a picture with the edging.): When you have a square piece and you are at the corner: single crochet, chain one, single crochet into that corner stitch, then continue working a single crochet all four sides -- treating each additional corner the same as above (sc, ch, sc).

5.) When you've finished all four sides, end with a slip stitch and tie it off. Weave both loose ends into your dishcloth with a darning needle or your crochet hook.


I love this cotton version! It's perfect for wiping down counters and light dish washing. Again I made a little tag to finish them off. The fonts on this tag can be downloaded (free!) from Kevin and Amanda!


Stay tuned for one more version of these cloths coming later this week!
It will be a fabulous more personal gift for the holidays!
Linked to:
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
Hookin' Up with HOH