Monday, December 17, 2012

Faux Bois {False Wood} Vase...


Nature inspired accessories are so popular right now. Of those, one of my favorites are faux bois pieces. French for "false wood," faux bois items bring a rustic wood grain into your home and can add texture to a variety of accent pieces. You've seen faux bois in stores on vases, candles and candle holders, outside planters, picture frames, refurbished furniture -- even chocolate has been made to take on a bark-like, woodsy appeal! I've been wanting to try my hand at making my own false wood vase for a couple of months now, and I finally got around to it the other day.

I worked off a fabulous tutorial at Centsational Girl. I followed her tutorial to the letter! Check it out to get a list of supplies.

I will give you a helpful hint though. Glass cylinder vases can be found at Hobby Lobby or any other craft store, however, when I went there they only had two sizes -- both of which were slender and tall. I wanted a shorter -- more squat -- one, so I headed over to Walmart to see if they had any. I bought the vase I used in their kitchen aisle {not their craft area} for $1.97, which was less expensive than Hobby Lobby -- even with their 50% discount. I've also been told that you can purchase glass cylinder vases at dollar stores. The silicone sealant, frosted glass spray paint, and flat white spray paint or primer can all be found in the same aisle at Home Depot. These supplies can be used for multiple vases.

To form your fake wood design, simply apply the silicone sealant to form a knotty wood pattern -- rotating the vase until complete. There is no right or wrong way to achieve the desired effect. In my opinion the less "perfect" it is, the more real it looks. Knots in the wood can be formed by building up the silicone in a circular motion. Here's my vase right after the application of the silicone sealant. The silicone goes on white and turns a clear color as it dries. I went a little crazy with my design -- might have gone overboard a bit -- but it really didn't matter in the long run...


Here's the vase about 18 hours later. You'll note the silicone sealant is a more clear now that it's dry...


When the silicone is dry, spray the vase with the "Frosted Glass Spray Paint." This serves as a great primer for the glass. It etches the glass so the paint adheres better.


Here's the finished product after the flat white spray paint has been applied...


And...at home in the bookcase in our newly stenciled study.
{Also, note the faux bois base on the owl snow globe found at West Elm on the shelf above.}

As much as I love fresh flowers, here's the version I'll keep up year round with some artificial succulent plants...



Generally, faux bois vases run at least $30 in stores. 
I'd venture to say this one cost under $4. 
;o)   Happy Dance   (o;

Update:
Checkout the Faux Bois Bowl I made too!

Linked to:
Show Me What Ya Got @ Not Just a Housewife
 Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings
The Inspiration Board @ Homework