Sunday, February 03, 2013

Thankful Thoughts...


What inspired me this week?

Have you seen the movie "Impossible"? It's the story of one family's experience during the 2004 Tsunami in Southeast Asia. We went to see it yesterday. I thought it would be a somewhat sanitized adventure movie about this difficult time. (Sometimes I can be ridiculously naive and shallow.) "Impossible" showed both the horrors and grace that people suffered and experienced during that terrible Tsunami. With the passage of time I had forgotten the magnitude of this horrible disaster. "Impossible" reminded me and made my heart ached for the people who were caught up in this catastrophe. At the same time, I was inspired by this family's story and their tenacious spirit. I wish, however, that the producers would have touched on the spiritual side of recovery. I kept wanting all the characters in the movie to turn to Him to receive the comfort that they so desperately needed. 

Sometime in the middle of the movie, after watching the characters go through horrific physical and emotional anguish, I thought back on the petty things I'd concerned myself with this last week. I struggle with putting things into proper perspective on a daily basis, and I often need a reminder about what is truly important in life. This movie was a compelling reminder. While sitting in the theater I promised myself (once again) to not let trivial matters consume my thoughts and rule my actions.


What surprised me this week?

I teach the 11 years olds at our church. There are twelve of them and usually eleven are in attendance.They are a spirited and lively bunch, and although I've been teaching them for only a month I love each one of them already. In addition to the shear size of the class, there are additional challenges associated with this group, but today I felt like we really clicked. It was such a nice surprise.