Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Bloomin' Tuesday: Succulent Window Garden...


Our family has been thrown a few curve balls these last couple of years. I know that isn't anything unusual. I don't know a family that hasn't had some type of serious issue lately. It's an epidemic, but I've felt like we've spent time in the major leagues -- fast balls, curve balls, strike outs. I yearn for a little down time playing t-ball with 4 year olds and getting some easy home runs.

When life seems a bit overwhelming, I often turn to gardening. It lifts my spirit and satisfies my creative bent. February in Colorado isn't exactly the best time to do yard work. In a few months I'll be wrist-deep in dirt planting impatiens and tomatoes, but in the middle of winter I have to concentrate on inside gardens if I want that calming, creative influence in my life.


I have a corner window in my kitchen that houses a variety of blue and white pottery that I've collected over the years. I pick up items here and there (often at thrift stores) that strike my fancy.


Occasionally, I've received a few pieces as gifts...


The other day I decided to put them to better use and fill them with succulents. Here are some of the containers that I used. Gravy boats, different sized pitchers, and other odd sized containers became receptacles for these gorgeous succulents.


I love the feeling of bringing the outside indoors.


These plants will do beautifully in our window, and when it gets warmer outside and they've outgrown their containers, I will plant them in our garden to enjoy over the spring and summer.

Go here, here and here for more succulent posts!