Monday, February 03, 2014

Kid Friendly Stitched Valentines...

This week three of our grandchildren have been visiting. Their parents are living it up on a cruise in the Caribbean and the little ones (ages 2, 4 and 6) are with us for a little grandma/grandpa time. It has been wonderful and incredibly exhausting!

While they were visiting, I wanted to work on a Valentine craft with the older boys. It needed to be simple enough for them to complete with very little help from me, but I also wanted it to be challenging for them. This is what we came up with...


I bought a plastic canvas sheet (10 1/2" x 13 1/2") for each heart. From each sheet I cut out two hearts -- a front and back.
 

The hearts measure approximately 7"x7".  A plastic yarn needle was threaded with some white yarn that I had in my stash and the boys were off. I used masking tape to tape the hearts together as they sewed around the perimeter of the hearts.


The six year old could manage all the sewing by himself. Our four year old only needed a little help pulling the needle through the canvas occasionally. It was the perfect project for these little guys.


They sewed around the heart leaving a 3" opening, then filled the heart with candy, and finished the stitching all the way around. I love projects where a child can complete the work themselves. The boys are looking forward to presenting these gifts to their parents for Valentine's Day. 

Cost: for materials and candy under $3