Saturday, August 15, 2015

Garden Produce...


I've ignored my garden this year. It's not the kind of garden that takes neglect well. It's a high maintenance kind of girl. Instead of working on it a little bit every couple of days, I've had hours of work every few weeks. I prefer the "a little here, a little there method", rather than a day of backbreaking labor. Still, she's produced rather well in spite of me turning a blind eye. In early June we planted lettuce and tomatoes. I prefer planting earlier than that, but we had a really wet spring that prohibited planting earlier. We've had a bumper crop of lettuce for awhile now, and the tomatoes have been ripening the last couple of weeks.


Even though our vegetable garden is small, it produces more than enough for the two of us and enables us to keep our neighbors knee deep in greens!


Yesterday I felt ambitious and especially domestic so I made some bread, picked lettuce and tomatoes from our garden, and made BLT sandwiches for dinner. Seriously good stuff.


There's a sense of accomplishment when you can grow some of your own food.


I've decided I want to live on a little farm. "Little" being the operative word. I'd like a place out in the country where I can have chickens, a goat, a bigger garden, and fruit trees. I'd also like it to be 10 minutes away from a Super Target and Hobby Lobby.


Until then, I'll enjoy the little garden I've got
and be thankful I don't have more weeds to pull.
Grateful.