Sunday, September 20, 2015

Thankful Thoughts...


A few years ago I was introduced to the idea of a gratitude journal. What I found as I wrote in my journal every week, was that it helped me to focus on the more uplifting events in my life and ignore or put into context those that were negative. It made me aware of the many tender mercies and kindnesses that were evident in my daily experiences and helped guide my thoughts toward more positive actions. I hoped that by starting this journal it would help me to cultivate a spirit of gratitude in my heart that would bless my life and those around me. For the last couple of years I made this journal private as I worked through some hard issues, but I'm back on the bandwagon and ready to share on my blog once again. My journal consists of answering one or more of these three questions each week...

What inspired me?   What surprised me?   What moved me?


This week...What inspired me?

I really like listening to Christian radio. It inspires me. It calms me. It teaches me. Simply put, it makes me happy.  The other day I was listening to the lyrics of a song by Casting Crowns called "Just Be Held." It's a song about putting your troubles in God's hands. A lyric in the song states,

"Your world's not falling apart, it's falling into place...." 

Now there's a positive attitude. Hindsight often gives us this perspective, but it's a hard concept to accept when you feel as if your world is spinning out of control. When you're smack dab in the middle of a crisis, your last thought is that the experience could be a blessing or for your good. Yet, looking back, that has often been the case in my life. It's during those times that I've been taught and learned best, and it's when I've more faithfully relied on God and felt closest to Him. If that isn't having my world "fall into place," I don't know what is. I'm grateful for music and teachings that inspire me and help me remember God's love for me.

"Be still, and know that I am God..." 
Psalms 46:10