Sunday, October 04, 2015

Thankful Thoughts...

What surprised me this week?

Last Monday I got an unexpected call. My eldest son had become ill Sunday night and had spent the night in the ER. He had been treated with antibiotics and released, but still needed rest and recuperation. When I called him on Monday afternoon he still sounded groggy and sick like he was still quite ill or like I had just woken him up from a deep, much needed sleep. So, I went into my "just-keep-breathing-till-I-get-there-mode", and I promptly booked an airline ticket. When I flew into San Jose Wednesday morning, said child picked me up at the airport looking fabulous and fit as ever. I asked my previously sicko son, "How do you feel?" He said he was feeling great other than being a little tired. {Dang antibiotics. How's a mother supposed to take care of her kid if antibiotics can do the job faster and better!*+#*~!}  I went through the checklist: Do you have a stomach ache? Low blood sugar? Headache? Cuts or bruises? Indigestion? Sniffles, constipation, or hangnails? No, no and no. Shoot. I couldn't save the day after all. {Disappointing.} 

When all was said and done, however, I had a wonderful time with my son this week. It's surprising when a mother gets one on one time with an adult child -- especially when she is a mother of many. We had so many meaningful and sweet conversations and discussions. He is someone I admire so much for so very many reasons, and I was able to express that love and admiration to him in many ways. I'm so happy he's feeling better, and so grateful that I felt prompted to go out and spend some time with this boy of mine. Feeling grateful.

What moved me this week?

My husband and I celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary this week. I met him when I was 18 years old, and he was 19. We were so young. Shortly after we met, he left on a two year mission for our church. Two and a half months after he got back from his mission in New Zealand -- even though we hadn't seen each other or talked on the phone with each other for those two years -- we got married. I'm still a proponent of writing letters to the one you love. It's an amazing way to truly get to know someone without the physical part of a romantic relationship "getting in the way." He is such a good man. I'm so grateful that he is mine, and I am his. Even though we were apart for our anniversary, our children got together and made a timeline of our years together. Each one adding memories and highlights. Their reminiscences -- both funny and touching -- moved both Mark and I. It was definitely one of the best presents we've ever received. 

What inspired me this week?

Twice a year our church -- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- has a two-day conference where leaders of our church speak on a variety of gospel and spiritual subjects. In one of today's sessions, during the opening prayer, this thought was expressed... "May we balance our lives according to thy will..." Life can be hectic and unpredictable. Sometimes the most important things get put aside as we turn our attention to more trivial matters. 

I've gotten in the habit of looking words up in the dictionary. Sometimes, especially when a word is used in a spiritual context, a definition gives me insight. One definition of "balance" is to arrange, adjust, or proportion the parts. I love the thought of relying on the Savior to help me adjust and arrange my life best, so that I can tend to those things that are most important to him. I think I'll include this thought in my prayers more often. I love it when the Spirit works on me to listen carefully, so I can receive inspiration.