Saturday, December 30, 2017

Adult Children's Christmas Quilts -- Part 1...


Christmas is over and it was everything I hoped it would be and more. My husband and I went to San Diego to celebrate with three of our children's families. We were able to thaw out in beautiful Southern California since we left Colorado in -7 degree weather on Christmas Eve. It was so fun to be with lots of family on Christmas morning as the little ones opened presents. We also had Facetime calls with the rest of our family members, so we were able to watch them open the quilts I had made for each one. I was pleasantly surprised and touched by how much they seemed to love their gifts. Even the little bitty ones seemed happy to have their own quilts. I've posted about all the grandchildren's quilts, so now I will just do a quick posting of our children's and children-in-law's quilts. I asked all our children and grandchildren before I started the project for their favorite color and an "interest" that they have in their lives. I almost always used their color preferences and tried to find fabric in their interest or that defined them to me.

The first two I'll show are Jillian and Joe's quilts. These two are busy and industrious parents, so the theme of their quilts were busy bees. Often, quite by accident and some by choice, the quilts for a couple were somewhat similar -- in color or theme. The quilting in Jillian's is a flowers and bees design. Here it is...



In August, when I knew I still had a lot of the adult quilts to finish I began using the same pattern on many of them. It's a half square triangle with a plain square between. They worked up quickly and the focus is on the fabric instead of the design of the quilt.

Here's Joe's quilt...



Here's another two that we gave to our son Christopher and his wife Stephanie. Chris is an engineer, so I loved these fabrics of blueprints of airplanes which seemed to have an element of engineering. The quilting is a clouds design...



Stephanie mentioned that she loves light and dark grays and white. I added a pop of color similar to the color in Chris' quilt. I fell in love with this ostrich fabric. Stephanie also speaks French, and the fabric with the writing is in French. The quilting is a leaf design...




More to come in a day or two! 
Happy New Year!