Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Half Square Triangle Baby Quilts...

A couple of weeks ago I came across this cute photo from "The Wooden Triangle" on Pinterest.  These are wood blocks painted as quilt squares. {Love them.} All of the designs on these wood blocks are half square triangle patterns, which are so quick and easy to sew up.


I usually make my baby quilts from half square triangle patterns, and I prefer to use large blocks so I can piece a quilt top in one day. If you look at the blocks above, each one of the wood blocks could be an adorable baby quilt. I was attracted to that block on the top of the photo sitting on the table...

When I make a quilt, probably because I'm a newby at this and I don't want to make a mistake, I always sketch what I'll be doing. This helps me lay out the fabric squares the right way up before sewing. For example I wanted all my squirrels and all the teepee tents the right side up and all the arrow fabric going in the same direction. {See photos below.}


{Please ignore that I do not know how to spell "squirrel" on that  piece of paper -- it's not a word I use every day.} Anyway, you'll note that my sketch replicates the wood block above. Here's the top I created from this pattern today...


There's nothing I love more than a sunny day in Colorado, but it's hard to get a good photo with all that gorgeous sun shining. Here's the up-close version...


This little kid quilt is a wacky combination of fabrics, but I love it so much. The teepee and arrow fabrics are from Hobby Lobby. Love that touch of gold in the arrows. The squirrel fabric is Cotton +Steel Magic Forest Squirrels Neon Yellow. I usually put a 4.5 inch frame or boarder on my baby quilts, so the question is...

"What color fabric would you choose to frame this crazy little quilt?"